Dancing Stars

Dancing Stars
Dancing Stars can be found on the cover of the American Patchwork & Quilting calendar for 2011. It's the month of February.

SPRING FLING is located in Volume 6 of Better Homes and Gardens Quilt-Lovers' Favorites.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter is over and I have not been keepimg up with the calendar. It's time I catch up with what is happening.

I'll begin with Easter and go backwards a bit to catch up with happenings from the beginning of 2012.  It is hard to believe that April is here and going fast.  Easter was beautiful in Georgia this year.  The flowers have been blooming for almost a month.  Our weather has been as strange as most of the country and we are now spoiled by having only a tiny bit of winter.  I wonder what summer holds for us.  Steven and his family celebrated Easter with us.
Spring break was last week and the temperature was in the 80's.  The children and I enjoyed the pool for three days until we had a cold snap.  Drex and I got to have our pictures taken too.
Glenn's children were looking good in Texas.  Taylor will be graduating from high school in June, so we have a trip in our future to attend the ceremony.  This is not an Easter picture of Cathy's family, but until I have one, this will work.  They all look good standing on the old bridge!  But not too springy

Cathy's daughter, Olivia played in the high school tennis finals today and took second place and we are very proud of her.
I have been sewing some this year, but not as much as I would like.  My church's Quilt for Christ quilting group is having a block exchange.  I wish that I could attend more often, but when I have a free Thursday morning I stop in once in a "blue moon".  I was lucky to be included in the block exchange.  They are making the Disappearing Nine Patch block.  It's very interesting how a plain Nine Patch can become so different when it is cut up and resewn.
I have all my Nine Patch blocks made, but still need to cut them up and resew them.  But I will get to that soon.  We'll get together and exchange with everyone else.  I am anxious to see what colors others used to go with the focus fabric. (The darker color).
 I did sew up a tiny basket that is in Better Homes and Gardens, "All Small" book that is now available.  I did the technical editing on many of the projects and when I worked on this one, I decided that I just had to make one for myself.  Isn't it just too cute!
I am slowly making Halloween quilt blocks for a new quilt that I am designing.  Perhaps I'll get them all made before Halloween.  I have eight done so far.  I couldn't settle on a block design and have a few others laying around that just didn't make me happy until I found one I liked.  I have seven Halloween quilts and I have eight grandchildren, so need one more quilt so that they all can have one.
In February I went to a Creative Hands retreat that Alice Berg (Little Quilts) put together with two other teachers.  We went to a lodge in the north Georgia mountains and for February we had amazing weather.  Never even needed a jacket.  But we were so busy we hardly stepped outside.  One of the things that I learned to do was to draw Zentangles.  It is an extremely relaxing process and I am no artist, but even I could draw the tangles.
This was my first full drawing and it amazes me just to know that I actually did it myself.  I need to spend more time drawing and relaxing!  I showed Austin, who is 11, last week how to draw different tangles and let him use my book and he really picked it up quickly.  I had bought him the pen, pencil and other things he needed and he did a fantastic drawing of his hand filled with tangle drawings.
I also took jewelry making while on the retreat.  I found it was not my cup of tea, but I did complete my necklace and I'm sure it will be the one and only thing I ever make again with pliers.  My poor thumbs did not like doing the work.
I also learned to do collage taught by Alice and that was fun playing with scissors, paint, and glue.  It was a wild time in the room with papers flying everywhere.  Mine is living in my studio,
It is another fun thing that I would like to do more often.  I imagine my granddaughters would like decorating things with this process.
In February, Drex got to fill in for Steven and go to Natalie's kindergarten class for Valentine's Day.  They never had days for Dad's when our children were in kindergarten, so this was a "first time" for him and he had a ball.  Natalie read him stories and they had doughnuts and he had such a nice time.  It looked like Natalie did as well.
That pretty well covers everything that has happened so far this year.  There are always small things going on here and there, but I don't have pictures of them.











No comments:

Post a Comment